The next Junior Eurovision participant has been announced, with Oleksandr Balabanov set to represent Ukraine at this year’s contest.
From 11 shortlisted participants, Oleksandr impressed the jury and came out on top, with a total of 5 points. Although he was not the winner of the online vote, the votes he received from the jury were enough to secure him the win. He will be performing the song Vidkryvay (Open) at Junior Eurovision.
To recap, here is who competed in the national selection:
- Anhelina Terennikova – The Vibe
- Anzhelina McFarlane (RREALINA) – MY SPIRIT
- Daniela Shapochnikova – Tvoye Maybutnye
- Darin Osman – Hello
- Nikita Achkasov – Hello
- Oleksandr Balabanov – Vidkryvai (Open)
- Olena Usenko (Ellen) – Never Get Free
- Polina Babii – Superbit
- Sofiia Shkidchenko – OK
- Yaroslav Politov (YAR POLITOV) – GOOD ALWAYS WINS
- Yuliia Karimi – PEOPLE
Oleksandr was born in Donetsk, and began singing as a child. At the age of 4, he was a member of a children’s folk group. When he was 8, he and his family moved to Kyiv, where he began singing classes and entered the music department in an arts school. Oleksandr also speaks English, and is learning German and Turkish.
Listen to his entry below: