Earlier in the national final season, Malta confirmed the return of the Malta Eurovision Song Contest. A total of 16 competitors will participate, with the winner to represent Malta at Eurovision this year.
The selection is due to take place between February 17th and 19th, with the final falling on the latter date.
Here are the participants and the snippets of their songs:
- Nicole Hammett – A lover’s heart
- Jessica Grech – Aphrodisiac
- Janice Mangion – Army
- Denise Mercieca – Boy
- Matt BLXCK – Come Around
- Baklava Ft Nicole – Electric Indigo
- Sarah Bonnici – Heaven
- Richard Micallef – Hey Little
- Norbert Bondin – How special you are
- Derrick Schembri – II
- Nicole Azzopardi – Into The Fire
- Jessika – Kaleidoscope
- Miriana Conte – Look what you’ve done now
- Emma Muscat – Out of Sight
- Raquel Galdes Briffa – Over You
- GIADA – REVELACIÓN
- Francesca Sciberras – Rise
- Aidan Cassar – Ritmu
- Mark Anthony Bartolo – Serenity
- Enya Magri – Shame
- Malcolm Pisani – We came for love
- Rachell Lowell – White Doves
Guess who’s back?
Nicole Azzopardi represented Malta at Junior Eurovision back in 2010 with the song ‘Knock Knock!… Boom! Boom!’. She finished in 13th place in the contest.
Jessika Muscat also returns, after representing San Marino alongside Jenifer Brening back in 2018. Richard Micallef is back in the selection as a soloist, having competed as part of the group Firelight back in 2014.
Aidan Cassar is a familiar name in the line-up, having competed in the Maltese selection in 2018. He returns this year as both an artist and a songwriter, having written no less than five of the competing entries, including his own. Mirana Conte participated in the 2017 Maltese selection, as did Janice Mangion. Derrick Schembri competed in the Maltese selection numerous times, however never won the ticket to Eurovision. Baklava is also a returning artist.
The line-up also features some former X Factor participants, including Norbert Bondin who finished in 6th place. Matt BLXCK competed in the second season, however did not progress to the live shows